Pancreatitis is a severe and potentially life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas.
One of the primary causes of pancreatitis is when digestive enzymes are activated while still in the pancreas. This occurrence irritates the organ’s cells and leads to inflammation.
Pancreatitis is a condition characterized by inflammation in the pancreas. It may be acute or chronic.
Acute pancreatitis appears suddenly, lasts for days, and goes away. Meanwhile, chronic pancreatitis happens for many years. However, severe forms of the disease can lead to life threatening illness.
Acute pancreatitis symptoms include:
- Upper abdominal pain
- Pain in the abdomen that eventually affects the back
- Abdominal pain that worsens after eating
- Rapid pulse
- Tenderness when the abdomen is touched
Chronic pancreatitis symptoms include:
- Upper abdominal pain
- Effortless weight loss
- Oily and smelly stool (steatorrhea)
According to findings from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, causes of acute pancreatitis include gallstones
Pancreatitis treatment involves pain management, especially in the upper abdomen. Doctors typically prescribe pain medications for this condition.
However, these pain medications may have side effects, such as constipation, nausea, slowed breathing, drowsiness, sedation, or clouded thinking.
Studies have demonstrated that CBD might not only help with the condition itself, but also with the associated symptoms. Researchers also found that CBD may alleviate pain, inflammation, and nausea — problems experienced by people with pancreatitis.
Can CBD Help With Pancreatitis?
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25403433/ Researches in 2015. Animal model
- A study in the journal Pancreas revealed that cannabidiol (CBD) had anti-inflammatory effects on mice with acute pancreatitis.
- Another study done in 2016 reported that CBD reduced markers of inflammation in the pancreas of non-obese and diabetic rodent test subjects.
- Research in 2016 stated that transdermally applied CBD reduced pain and inflammation in arthritic mice. Pain, particularly in the abdomen, is a symptom of pancreatitis.
- A 2020 review found in the journal Antioxidants detailed the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of CBD. Pancreatitis patients have an inflamed pancreas.